Wednesday, July 14, 2004

We are not alone

Mike and I are certainly not alone on this journey. We have so much to be thankful for. Our family and long time friends continue to support us every step of the way. Recently, Mike and I met two bone marrow transplant survivors (Ron (with his wife Kim), Sara (with her husband Jason)). They have given us so much inspiration and hope. When we met, we became fast friends. I'm so glad to have met them. They know exactly what we're going and have been giving us valuable advice and support. In addition to Ron and Sara, we also know of two other BMT survivors--Alan, whom we've met on-line thru aadp.org, and David, my coworker. All of them are leading full and healthy lives now. I know that Mike will get thru this and will part of the BMT survivors club!

We also have wonderful co-workers. I'm currently on leave from work so that I can focus and be Mike's primary caregiver during this time. I miss seeing all of my friends at the office. For the past year and a half, they have become my support group. They kept me laughing, they kept me sane. I'm fortunate to work with such generously supportive people. I cannot fully express the enormous gratitute I feel towards my manager and all my colleagues.

One of the bright spots last year was our participation in the Leukemia and Lymphoma's Team in Training program. Thru this, we met some amazing people--the coaches, participants, the volunteers and everyone involved with the program. We still keep in touch with them. Mike so enjoyed cycling with them and he looks forward to the day where he can get back on his bike and join them again. The folks at the Society's TNT program signed three large banners wishing Mike well. These banners will be placed in his hospital room so that he can see all the people who are cheering him on. Even strangers (who are involved with TNT) whom we have not met are sending us kind words of support via email.

Again, thanks to everyone for your prayers and support. It means a lot to Mike and I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home