Thursday, September 30, 2004

Thursday, Sept. 30

Sorry I haven't been blogging as much. Frustration has hit a fever pitch with me this past couple of weeks with the folks at ITA. And, frankly, I've been too stressed out to even blog. We've had so many issues with Mike's catheter. They had to repair it yet again today because the repair last week wasn't done properly and the lumen is seeping out blood. ITA was short staffed today because of some symposium going on, so there was no one there on-site who has done a catheter repair before. And the gal who did the repair last time was off today.

So, here we were--stuck with a nurse who is inexperienced with catheter repairs. The nurse actually said to us that Mike was going to be her 'guinea pig'. Obviously, this set me off. After all, this is the second catheter line installed in Mike and the third time his catheter had to be repaired. I asked that someone else perform the repair, someone who has actually done it. Nope. We are stuck with her. The only other person who 'is' experienced is not certified to do it. Every time they repair the catheter it opens Mike up to infection. I pray, pray, pray that this one will hold up.

The RN today told me that they have an issue with me because I raised concerns about the competency of nurses doing catheter repairs. I don't care if they have issues with me. I'm trying to be an advocate for my husband. I'm going to continue to ask my questions and speak up if I feel that something isn't right. Today is not a good day.

I'm simply, absolutely, completely, positively exhausted. The uncertainty is the most exhausting part of this process. I'm mustering every fiber of my being and trying to stay upbeat and positive, but it's been difficult.


2 Comments:

At August 8, 2005 at 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your blog and I figured you'd be interested in advancing your life a bit, call us at 1-206-339-5106. No tests, books or exams, easiest way to get a Bachelors, Masters, MBA, Doctorate or Ph.D in almost any field.

Totally confidential, open 24 hours a day.

Hope to hear from you soon!

 
At October 30, 2005 at 4:26 AM, Blogger Mike Overall said...

Just FYI, I came across your blog while Googling mine. Turns out my blog is nowhere to be found when searching my name...(sigh)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home